[Q] Speed comparison 2.8 vs 3.8

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 30 00:15:56 UTC 2005

(Also added this to Mantis). Here's why I think its the primitive:

Did the test, time profile for about 10 seconds holding down the 'g' key
inserting into the 10,000 character paragraph. Here's what I
got(summary, the full thing is on Mantis)

3.7:
     33.8% into Delay,
     ~5% into CharacterScanner
basicScanCharactersFr...stopConditions:kern: (hard to tell exactly since
it doesn't take enough time to show up, i'm estimating from its callers)
     Most remaining time going into printing

3.8
     9.4% into Delay
     66.2% into CharacterScanner
basicScanCharactersFr...stopConditions:kern:

This is why I think basicScan... performance has gone way downhill and
the most likely cause I can see is the failing primitive which is not
failing (in this case at least) in 3.7.

Eddie