[Q] Maui, can I run example or demo?

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Tue Aug 30 14:47:06 UTC 2005

Greetings, sorry for the trouble you had.  I have now fixed this.  Please try

Here are some tips to get you started on a basic file-manager.

Open up a browser on FileDirectory and drag its class-side #default message
onto the desktop.  Then click on it to run the message.  The little square box
that appears is the result of the message, the #default instance of
FileDirectory.  You may drag this out onto the desktop.

Now drag the instance-side #entries message onto this (before dropping, make
sure it shows the green outline rectangle of where it will drop).  Click on
this message; a collection of entries appears in their "iconic" form.  Change
any ONE of them to the "Small" view ("beSmall" on the context menu) so that we
may drag some messages into it.

While still hovered over the one you just made small, press "b" to browse its
hierarchy.  DirectoryEntry pops up.  Drag #name and #fileSize to the one you
made small.  Now Shift+click for its tool menu and select "as list entry".
Finally, right-click on the actual Collection object, carefully getting outside
that black border (its ScrollPane or something) but still on the Collection so
that it is outlined in green (this part is a little tricky), and select
"elements view | list entry".

As you see, you have the beginnings of a "file-manager" very quickly.

You can now remember this view by Shift+right click and select "manage
views...".  A dialog pops up letting you name this view.  Any object may assume
any previously remembered view at any time.

I'm sure you will have questions, feel free to ask..

Regards,
  Chris