Traits approaching mainstream Squeak

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Aug 31 01:53:14 UTC 2005

Daniel Vainsencher wrote on Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:01:59 -0700
> Andreas Raab wrote:
> > I see. It would be interesting for me to see an actual design from first
> > principles that ignores the restrictions we have right now (like VM
> > dependencies) and just tries to build a comprehensive set of
> > abstractions.
> Jecel, maybe you can describe the relevant parts of NeoSmalltalk?

I will be happy to, though it would have to be a little long to include
at least some background for the ideas. This will probably have to wait
until Friday. Another email I sent to the list several hours ago seems
to be missing - I hope this one makes it through.

When OpenCroquet first came out I took a quick look through the sources.
I may have misunderstood entirely but my impression was that anything to
be shared about machines had to belong to a subclass of TObject. If that
is the case then I would think that Traits would help here even more
than in the Collection classes. Otherwise you have to copy a lot of code
from old classes into their equivalent TWhatever variation.

-- Jecel