Traits approaching mainstream Squeak

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 09:46:20 UTC 2005

On 8/31/05, Dean_Swan at mitel.com <Dean_Swan at mitel.com> wrote:
> I work on a product that is built from over ten thousand source files and has hundreds of developers working on it.  [...]
>
> I think what I am describing here is how a lot of software gets
> created in the real world [...]

Not where I live. I typically quit these jobs, probably ;-). I'm dying
for Traits (ok, at the moment in VisualAge because they would make
refactoring some existing code better). Refactoring is my daily bread
and butter, and language enhancements that can give me new ways of
refactoring are a big step forward (let alone language enhancements
that give me new ways to think about new stuff I'm creating).

We made a sort of 'real world soup' of Squeak code. The biggest
challenge the community faces is to keep it all maintainable. Traits,
IMNSHO, will be a very important tool here.