Traits approaching mainstream Squeak

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 15:39:36 UTC 2005

> Is any of this seriously debated? I mean, traits notwithstanding, has
> anyone who has ever built a large hierarchy of objects NOT run into the
> above problems?

Traits are not required to avoid bloat or duplication that comes with
inheritance, just use composition.  Granted, it requires explicit delegation
(or a DNU hack) but, many times, only a small portion of the behavior of the
provided by the Collection (or whatever) is needed.  This, in fact, can help
understand a system better because the only "inherited" behavior is explicitly
declared by the fowarding messages.

I'm not at all opposed to Traits in the image, especially if it is not
disruptive to function or performance.  I'm sure I'll even find a good use for
it some day..

 - Chris