downloading and installation help

Donald Major Donald.Major at sas.com
Wed Aug 31 19:16:10 UTC 2005

Assuming you have root access you need to use that access to execute

/home/ron/Squeak/Squeak-3.7-7/INTALL

(not sure if /home/ron/Squeak/Squeak-3.7-7 must be your current
directory at the time or not -- I always make it so when I do it, though).

That at least installs the man and VM binary and related files (like
plugins).

The INSTALL script is supposed to also install squeakini (it doesn't)
and to copy the source, image and changes file from /home/ron/Squeak
into roughly the same locations as the binary, to allow squeakini to
easily set up an empty directory for the recommended install (it
doesn't, do that either).

To do it by hand, copy the .changes, .image and .source files from
/home/ron/Squeak/ to /usr/local/lib/squeak.  Then I recommend creating
soft links named "squeak.image" and "squeak.changes" in the same
directory pointing to the version-specific .image and .changes files,
respectively.  Now you're done with root access.

In your home directory, create yet-another-directory and in that, copy
/usr/local/lib/squeak.image and /usr/local/lib/squeak.changes locally
into the directory, and create a soft link names SqueakV3.sources (or
.source -- whatever it is) to the real copy at
/usr/local/lib/squeak/SqueakV3.sources and from that point on, invoking
squeak while in that directory should just bring the image right up,
while leaving master copies of everything in the /usr/local/lib/squeak
directory, useful for other users on the machine and for yourself if you
should do something that manages to so totally trash your local image
and changes file that you can only give up in disgust (it can happen,
but you have to work at it :)).

Any of the above that's wrong is my fault, btw, but it's how I remember
doing it on a new home linux box 3 days ago.