Smalltalk and Self

David P Harris dpharris at telus.net
Wed Aug 31 23:31:32 UTC 2005

Marcus Denker wrote:

> Am 01.09.2005 um 00:12 schrieb Jecel Assumpcao Jr:
>

>> In short: the Self world lacked its Andreas and Ian which was the main
>> factor why Self and Squeak followed different paths.
>>
> But if you then look at the development of Tweak/Croquet
> and the latest discussions on the vm-list, it seems they learned their
> lesson and now are using a much more closed (hostile?)
> form of development...
>
> So something clearly did not went the right way with Squeak from their
> perspective.
>
> One thing that the Traits discussion again has shown that it is very
> hard
> to innovate in Squeak. There is a huge hostility against doing new
> things, even if the alternative is complete standstill.
>
>     Marcus

Jecel-
Thanks for the history lesson.  I think I agree with your points.

Marcus-
But if one wants the status quo, surely one just adopts a specific Squeak.
Traits would seem at this point to be the best of both worlds: 'old'
Squeak is unaffected, and experimenters can try out the newer technology.

David