DDE-server comunication?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Dec 7 22:09:50 UTC 2005

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> You now have asked the same question how many times? Three, four?

Indeed, it seems a terrible waste of bandwidth to just reply "I don't
know". But the total lack of feedback can be very frustrating - you
can't even be sure that other people are seeing your message.

> Nobody ever answered,  probably because nobody even knows what DDE is.

Sure some of us do. While Smalltalkers aren't quite the grey hair club
that Forth is there are a bunch of older people. Who remember Active X
when it was COM and that when it was still DDE (dynamic date exchange -
one huge advantage of Windows 3.1 over 3.0).

> A quick googling gives me the impression that it's Windows/Microsoft
> specific. Combine these two things and the answer is most likely no.

I can't imagine anyone having used Squeak with it, but if there is some
DLL around that can do it then it is possible to make Squeak talk to it
via the FFI (I wouldn't expect any callbacks to be involved since DDE
was very stream-like).

-- Jecel (who is not interested in further investigating this matter)