What does Squeak application development look like?

Ramon Leon rleon at insario.com
Fri Dec 9 16:59:04 UTC 2005

> I do not move images around. I check in using Monticello, and
> check out at another machine in a different image. Just like
> with SVN (in fact, we're using SVN to version everything except code).
>
> The images on the various machines usually are different,
> have different packages loaded, different update levels etc.
> That way it's easier to spot version-dependent problems.
>
> - Bert -

Same here, I move around between 3 machines and use Monticello to keep
them in sync with the latest code, no need to carry an image around.
I'll rebuild from a clean base image once in a while, on any computer,
and reload all code from Monticello, this can often point out package
dependency problems where I've inadvertently put a method or extension,
or used a class from a package in a way that creates a circular
dependency.  Loading from source on occasion forces me to fix those
issues that may go unnoticed if I simply carried around a single image.

Using different images also helps avoid having code that only runs
because of some test objects created by hand in a workspace, like
finding out everything works great, until there are no objects in the
system, then things blow up because your code didn't consider an empty
system.

Ramon Leon