What does Squeak application development look like?

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri Dec 9 23:58:56 UTC 2005

Ramon Leon wrote:

>>(sorry, hit send prematurely)
>>Monticello seems to be based only on categories, not classes.
>>That's how I've used it anyway. How can you add single
>>classes to a package? I didn't see this in the docs.
>>
>>And, how can you add a new package of an existing category
>>(or class)? I couldn't figure that out either.
>>

>Short summary: it is based on simple naming conventions, if you create a
>Package called CoolProgram, then any classes in any categories that look
>like CoolProgram-Application, CoolProgram-Application-Configuration,
>CoolProgram-WebUI, CoolProgram-Domain, etc. automatically become part of
>that package.  Any methods anywhere in the system, whether in that
>package or not, in a category beginning with *CoolProgram, just like
>class categories, also gets included into that package, it's simple,
>elegant, and works great imho.  Just browse a few existing packages from
>Monticello, you'll understand it very quickly.

That's how I use it today.
But, what if you want to add classes from other categories, that do not
have the prefixed name?
For instance, I have an app and all the classes are in the same
category. No problem. But, I have a plugin that I want to include in
this package, but I want to to stay in another category. It does not
have the prefixed name (in your example, it does not have the
"CoolProgram" prefix.) How do you add that -- w/o adding that complete
category as a required package?