What does Squeak application development look like?

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sat Dec 10 00:41:45 UTC 2005

Ramon Leon wrote:

>>That's how I use it today.
>>But, what if you want to add classes from other categories,
>>that do not have the prefixed name?
>>For instance, I have an app and all the classes are in the
>>same category. No problem. But, I have a plugin that I want
>>to include in this package, but I want to to stay in another
>>category. It does not have the prefixed name (in your
>>example, it does not have the "CoolProgram" prefix.) How do
>>you add that -- w/o adding that complete category as a
>>required package?
>>

>That's what the dependency mechanism is for, add that other package as a
>dependency of this package, rather than trying to put it in this
>package.  Packages are the proper level of reuse, not classes, so if you
>use one class from another package, then you rightfully depend on that
>other package.

Not if I only depend on that one class. I only want to add one class,
not all of the classes in the category. Unless I'm missing something
very basic -- which is entirely possible :-)

What I would like is to add single classes from different categories.
Sure, I could change the category of, let's say, a plugin class. But, I
would like to keep the plugin under the VMMaker-Plugins category, and
not create a new category just to add it to a package.