What does Squeak application development look like?

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Sat Dec 10 19:06:09 UTC 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:
> What you _really_ do when you add a Package is add a Category, right?
> Categories are arbitrary. If you add VMMaker-Plugins you get all of the
> classes in the category, right? I just want to save my one class from
> that category, I don't want to save all of them. What am I missing?

What you're missing is that a Monticello package
is merely a naming convention for class categories.
IIUC, the approach is one of "The Simplest Thing
That Could Possibly Work". The approach has proved
to go a long way, but it won't handle what you're
trying to do.

You seem to be separating the package concept from
the class category. They are separate concepts, and
most other packaging systems maintain the separation
throughout the implementation as well. But that is
not the case with Monticello.

Maybe what you want to do is to introduce a package
for an interface layer, and put your single class in
that package. Then you can change the implementation
and dependencies of the interface package, without
affecting your higher level package. If this doesn't
suit, then more explanation is needed of what you're
trying to achieve with your packaging.

--
Yanni Chiu