Squeak and its Wikis

Torsten Sadowski moehl at akaflieg.extern.tu-berlin.de
Tue Dec 13 12:42:51 UTC 2005

The requirements need a bit of explanation.

I'm working as a Ph.D. student in the Mechanical Engineering Institute of
the TU Berlin. Part of my job is teaching ME to undergraduate students.
The teaching is not a problem but the University, the Faculty of
Engineering and not even the institute have a centralized system for
course management. Every working group in the institute has its own system
where the students can register themselves and log in for the courses. The
university wide system was planned, partly paid for and then abandoned for
political reasons.

What is needed are two more or less independent systems, one for
registering students to courses and one for grading students in courses.
Both are perfectly illegal after the german "Datenschutzgesetz".

Application 1 Registration:
-Students create accounts for themselve
-Students change account data
-Students enroll for courses
-Students decide otherwise and take themselves out of the couse list
(before the start of the semester, must be logged)
-Students register for exams
-Students can view their grades

Application 2 Administration (and grading)
-Teachers can access their course lists
-Teachers can mass mail to one or more courses or to selected students
-Teachers can grade students
-the course administrator defines a grading system
-Teachers can view a students history (courses and grades)
-all data has to be persistent at least until the students
graduation
-all data must be accessible without the running server
-automatic printing of course certificates

Teachers are completely trustworthy and students can only change their
personal data and view their grades.

If the Registration is done somewhere else, the Administration needs some
import capability (CSV).

As a solution is not inside and because I'm not even in a position to
decide on a system for the institute look at the smily below and only do
something if my requirements meet your goal.

Cheers, Torsten

P.S. How does your university handle student administration?