"World's poorest don't want '$100 laptop': Intel"

hjh-sqlist hjh-sqlist at lexdb.net
Wed Dec 14 15:53:29 UTC 2005

Quoting Boris Gaertner <Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net>:

> For those who want to know more about the $100 laptop project,
> here are some links:
> http://laptop.media.mit.edu/
> http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/003707.html
> http://blogs.inextenso.com/seaside/blog/learning/e82c2f12-5745-11da-9865-000
> d935fad1c
>
> Note that there is some evidence that this machine
> will be delivered with Squeak. This is not only a beautiful
> idea, it can also turn into a challenge to all of us.

Evidence could be seen in the fact that Alan Kay is a member of the group of
principals

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/principals.html

The MIT site lists as well list in the news
http://laptop.media.mit.edu/news.html

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/mobile/0,39020360,39237304,00.htm
(17-Nov-05)
which tells us the following

<citation>
The proposed design of the machines calls for a 500MHz processor, 1GB of memory
and a unique dual-mode display that can be used in full-colour mode, or in a
black-and-white sunlight-readable mode. It's not clear yet how much cranking
will be needed for the higher-power colour mode.

It's expected to run an open source operating system, probably Linux, Negroponte
said,...
</citation>

But besides this hint that I didn't find  more information on technology yet

However thinking of using Squeak with this  500Mhz processor and a 800MB Squeak
image makes feasable quite a lot....

Hannes