3.8 grumblings

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Dec 18 21:53:39 UTC 2005

On 18 déc. 05, at 21:59, Ralph Boland wrote:

> I am currently porting some Squeak code from Squeak 3.6 to Squeak 3.8
> (on a linux system).  I have the following problem:
>
>  When I load a .st file  all the  "_" characters (displayed as
> "<-") are
>  converted to  the string  ":=".
>  HOW DO I TURN THIS "FEATURE" OFF!!!
>  Is the "_" character for assigment being deprecated?

No

>  Am I expected to use  ":=" for assignment form now on?

No.
_ and := are two legal assignments operators.

have you check the preferences?
syntaxhighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment may be?

> Some additional grumplings:
>
>  2)  Since I am running linux I must go to the FileStream class
>       and modify method "concreteStream"  to return:  "CrLfFileStream"
>       so that my code has the proper carriage returns in them when
>       I file them in.
>       It seems to me that I shouldn't have to do this
>       and that Squeak should handle this situation automatically,
>       possibly by storing a special flag in each .st file
>       indicating the rule applied, regarding carriage returns,
>       when the file was generated.
>       If the flag is missing Squeak behavior would revert back
>       to the current situation.

send the code.

>   3)  There is no inisqueak command
>        even though the documentation (man squeak) says there is.
>        This is confusing.
>        This was the situation with Squeak 3.6 as well.

can you add that to mantis?

>   4)  Even though I have installed Squeak 3.8,
>        the command  squeak -version returns  Squeak 3.7.7.
>        I assume this is because the virtual machine is  3.7.7
>        or something like that.
>        Inside  Squeak  help- "about this system" returns Squeak 3.8
> though.

I think that you get the VM version and the image version which are
two different things.

>          4)  I do find the installation process confusing in general.
>       A ReadMe file to be read from a linux shell would be helpful.

Agree but who is in charge of linux?

>   5)  Squeak  3.6  had a "usefull commands" window which I found
>        quite useful as a Squeak beginner.  There doesn't seem to
>        be such a window in 3.8.

How did you gtet that usefull command window in 3.6 so that I can see
it?

> Hopefully someone will post a solution to my problem.
> Comments on my grumplings most welcome.

Sure :)