Files....

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Dec 19 18:42:13 UTC 2005

On 19-Dec-05, at 10:23 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> In my opinion this is a very critical bug that will let people decide
> against the use of Squeak for serious applications in the future.
> After discovering and identifying it some time ago, I keep on
> discovering new places where this particular problem causes other
> bugs. It is still difficult for me to understand how it could remain
> unfixed for almost 30 years :-/
It hasn't been around for 30 years. Just about every version of
Smalltalk has a different way of dealing with files. So far as I can
tell the Squeak code originated with the desire to make it only rely
upon the ANSI lib functions - a laudable aim - but they are totally
inadequate to any serious usage. Time to replace it.

tim
In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.