Mission for Squeak Foundation

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 11:41:39 UTC 2005

On 12/20/05, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at univ-savoie.fr> wrote:
> Now I would like to know if this is possible that we ask andrew and
> the lawyer that ron contact for the cryptographic
> packages to write down their analysis and that we publish it on the
> squeak web site.

I think that is a good idea. Not that any surprises will pop up - the
issues with the Squeak License have been hashed out many times,
including a couple of times in discussions with Andrew Greenberg, who
*is* a lawyer ;)

However - these are US lawyers. You don't mention what country this
company lives in, but their analysis may or may not apply to local
laws. So, if they are really serious, due dilligence would demand:
- a translation of the license into the local language by a licensed
legal translator;
- an evaluation of the result by a local IP lawyer.
But that one should do for any license.

BTW - if you think it's a good idea, you can pass them my contact
details for any immediate questions. I think between the SqF board
members, I've been doing the most legal work including more hours on
the Squeak license than I care to count ;-).

Regards,

Cees