About ToolBuilder and Plus Tool set

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 11:48:52 UTC 2005

On 12/20/05, stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> For example, should we track all the PopUpMenu that are not issued by
> the
> UIManager and replace them by adequate message. Does it make sense?
> Is is what the toolPlus tools are already proposing?

A lot of instances in the image have already been replaced. I think
that we should try to find the remaining instances and replace them.
Then, at the very least, let PopUpMenu (and associates) write messages
to the Transcript so others are warned that they are using obsolete
code. Maybe do it with a 'self uiObsoleteCode'.

Then in a later version, we find all senders of #uiObsoleteCode and
move it to a "Obsolete UI" package, which is put on SqueakMap and
removed from the core distribution.

(because it is really about time that we start showing some cruft the
door, folk ;-)).

> Now I would like to know whether the ToolsPlus should be as UI
> framework specific as possible?

Er... no, as UI agnostic as possible. But ToolsPlus should of course
offer everything that the current tools use (case in point: the
ToolsPlus Morphic workspace is based on StringHolder, which means it
loses the local vars functionality that is in Workspace--the latter
class wasn't used because that is a known UI specific class, which is
fine but then we need to transplant code from Workspace to
WorkspacePlus).

> Now the other question: how can we continue to push this effort since
> I'm afraid that we will start to lose it
> if we do not do something.

Probably by taking small steps at the time - starting with tracking
down obsolete code, making Mantis entries for every one of the tools
with a message that someone needs to go over it and "merge"
functionality, etceterea.