[ANN] new update 6707

Alexandre Bergel bergel at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Dec 20 13:30:10 UTC 2005

> - 98% of all Squeak users want Tweak and not Traits.

How did you get this figure ?

> ...may proof being counterproductive to Smalltalk programming..

What is surely counterproductive to Smalltalk programming is to not
move forward.

> Remember, not only skilled researchers use their own invention but
> many more mere mortal programmers *try to achieve* something.

That has always been our main concern.

> You produced a current standalone image with Traits. Fine! Please
> let people try it now. Let those who are interested find out about
> Traits themselves.

this is what we did...

> This takes time, and that is OK. Any trial of ramming it violently
> into the main Squeak at this time looks only as if you researchers
> fear yourselves that in the end it comes out that Traits in its
> current form is not the right thing for Smalltalk.

We are really paying attention to that. The idea is not to force
people to use researcher tools, java guys do it better with generics,
but rather to have a cool programming environment.

> Traits may have potential as it is now, or maybe it needs some
> changes. Perhaps a more radical altered language is appropriate.
> Let us find out with time!

Ok. We are waiting for your feedbacks. The image is now downloadable.

Regards,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel