Mission for Squeak Foundation

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 13:55:37 UTC 2005

I agree that a general (preferably not country specific) professional
legal analysis of the license would be useful.

I think the points of interest would be:
- Risks in it for users, developers and redistributors
- Analysis of its interaction with other code: fixes to existing classes
vs. separate packages, and MIT vs. Squeak-L.
- Analysis of the strategy I proposed a while ago for living with and
eventually replacing SqueakL. The strategy is: dual license all new code
as MIT/SqueakL, try to replace subsystems rather than fix them. If its
bad, propose an alternative strategy.

Then the company in question should decide whether this is sufficient
for it, to pay a local lawyer for the details specific to its situation.

If we do this, it is important to get it from someone that is already
familiar with open source licenses, so the people Ron contacted would be
a good starting point (if it is beyond what they want to do pro-bono,
they can probably recommend someone).

Daniel