AW: Mysql Driver failed on wamp5

David Röthlisberger ruby at c3com.ch
Fri Dec 23 22:06:06 UTC 2005

> on a windows based system with wamp (Windows Apache Mysql
> Php), I have tried to used the squeak mysql driver without
> success. The only error message I get is :
>
> '1251 Client does not support authentication protocol
> requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client'

You probably use MySQL 4.1 or newer?
Then you should follow the instructions noted on this site:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html

The reason why you get this error is that MySQL changed the authentication
protocol as of version 4.1.1. Concretely, they use a new password hashing
mechanism, now passwords are 41 bytes long instead of 16 bytes...
The Squeak MySQL driver uses apparently still the old authentication
protocol used in MySQL 3.23 or 4.0.

This is the same problem you get when using the standard mysql extension of
PHP instead of the new one, called mysqli (mysql improved).

David