Squeak 3.8-6665 with Mac OS X VM 3.8.9beta7 very slow

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Dec 27 08:21:22 UTC 2005

You could always check
Rectangle>>newRectFrom:
	"Track the outline of a new rectangle until mouse button changes.
	newFrameBlock produces each new rectangle from the previous"
	| rect newRect buttonStart buttonNow aHand delay |

	delay _ Delay forMilliseconds: 10.
	buttonStart _ buttonNow _ Sensor anyButtonPressed.
	rect _ self.
	Display border: rect width: 2 rule: Form reverse fillColor: Color gray.
	[buttonNow == buttonStart] whileTrue:
		[delay wait.

It should start like so? The Delay is important.

"Change Set:		SlowResizeCPU-JMM
Date:			21 October 2003
Author:			johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com

In the browser window CPU usage would go to 100% when we enter the
resize pane area, or resize the pane. This was due to zero step time
for NewHandleMorph a subclass of HandleMorph which looks at cursor
location to change the cursor shape. Change step time to 10 ms in
HandleMorph to solve this. Then issue is at actual resize time CPU
usage goes to 100%. Issue in resize retangle logic  (three places)
where it watchs the cursor. Change to delay for 10 ms between cursor
lookups"

In checking a basic 6665 image without changes it will only hit 50%
cpu when dragging a workspace window frame around on my laptop.

On 26-Dec-05, at 11:42 PM, Yar Hwee Boon wrote:

> I've just started a fresh Squeak 3.8-6665 running with Mac OS X VM
> 3.8.9beta7. I've loaded some web development stuff including
> Seaside, Magma. Morphic response seems horribly slow compared to
> 3.7. CPU util reads 90-100% when dragging a workspace for eg. and
> it takes a few seconds to actually see it move. Does anyone know
> what could be wrong or what diagnostics I can do? I'm on a 1.2 GHz
> iBook with enough RAM, if it matters at all. Thanks!
>
> --
> Hwee Boon
> http://motionobj.com/blog/
> MotionObj