Squeak Http GET broken?

Bob Courchaine bobc at nfldinet.com
Wed Dec 28 17:42:52 UTC 2005

I didn't dig very far but it seems Firefox's issue is that doesn't know
what to do w/ a ".dll" file.

I downloaded the response, changed the extension to .xml and Firefox
opened it formatted as XML, complaining, "This XML file does not appear
to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is
shown below."

Just for fun, I added a prolog declaring the document as XML (<?xml
version = "1.0"?>). Then I changed the extension back to .dll and tried
to Open the File in Firefox. It still didn't know how to handle it,
asking to download it again.

So in this case the issue is with the client.

>From working w/ web services, I'd not expect to display this in a web
browser. I'd save it to the filesystem and parse, etc it from there.

Just because IE displays it w/o complaining doesn't mean it's typical
and expected practice.

I deleted your original question, Nevin, so I'm not sure what you're
trying to do. But I'd suggest it's not the GET mechanism that's the
problem, it's the handling of the response.

Bob