Squeak Http GET broken?

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Wed Dec 28 18:02:44 UTC 2005

Bob Courchaine wrote:

>I didn't dig very far but it seems Firefox's issue is that doesn't know
>what to do w/ a ".dll" file.
>
>I downloaded the response, changed the extension to .xml and Firefox
>opened it formatted as XML, complaining, "This XML file does not appear
>to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is
>shown below."
>
>Just for fun, I added a prolog declaring the document as XML (<?xml
>version = "1.0"?>). Then I changed the extension back to .dll and tried
>to Open the File in Firefox. It still didn't know how to handle it,
>asking to download it again.

Actually, I don't care to open the file in Firefox, or any other
browser, and I don't care about files.

I just want to hit that URL in Squeak, and get the response into Squeak.

If you put the URL in Firefox, it is correct that Firefox thinks it is
downloading a file.  But the file that it downloads is a text file that
contains the response.

I want to retrieve that response, via the URL, totally inside of Squeak,
without dealing with files.  It's that simple.

Or so I would think.

Nevin