[OT] Re: Say Hello to Stanley

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Fri Dec 30 08:07:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 02:33:21 -0800, Stéphane Rollandin
<lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:

>>>  From a technical viewpoint, I think this is an admirable achievement.
>>> However, from a political standpoint, it seems this is one more step
>>> on  the way to automated warfare. I refuse to consider this an
>>> admirable  goal.
>>   Why? What if the gave a war and nobody had to come?<s>
>>

> you mean, even the enemy would not have to come ?

But of course. It's not war that's so bad, it's all the killing.

> that would be great. then let's call that "giving a party" instead of
> "giving a war" and let's design dancing robots so that we can watch all
> the fun going on.

Well, that would require a change in humanity, which is a different nut to
crack altogether. The idea would be to satisfy the apparent "need" for war
without actual deaths. I doubt human organisms will be viable as soldiers
for long once robots start being used, anyway.