Views on Map

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Wed Feb 2 05:07:51 UTC 2005

Heh.

Can't tell if I got three answers or one here.<s>

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:32:09 +0100, Bert Freudenberg <bert at impara.de> wrote:

> (PasteUpMorph new extent: 800 at 800; inATwoWayScrollPane) openInWorld

OK, I'll start with this. I'm loathe to moosh the representations of the
objects together with the objects, but it's probably okay for starters.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:10:13 -0000, Frank Shearar
<Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk> wrote:

> Conveniently enough I recently submitted a changeset adding
> #asScrollPane to Morph - Morph currently has #asTwoWayScrollPane, and
> TwoWayScrollPane's actually deprecated. Review the changeset, and help
> get it into the image

I'm not sure how to apply this information. What do I get out of a
#asTwoWayScrollPane? If I can work it out, I can, at least, review it.

> The easiest thing to do is just to offset all the submorphs. There is a
> limit, though, to positions in Morphic; I think that we may be limited
> to +/-32K.

Change the locations of every morphic every time I want the screen to
move? I mean, I've done stuff like that, but it's not very efficient, is
it?

> Beyond this you may have to remove invisible morphs from the World
> (perhaps adding them as children of a separate, hidden morph) and put
> them back later when they become available. Or you could move them just
> offscreen and save their actual position in a property. When you pan the
> world you just adjust the offsets and saved positions.

Isn't it simpler to give them their actual positions and just pan the
window? I guess if the whole graphic image is stored in memory, it's a
different kind of inefficient.

> If you add translation to the world (or scaling, for that matter) you
> will find that there are a number of cases where transformations will
> have to be applied to event coordinates. I've tracked down a number of
> these over the years but there are still some left.

Oh, that's good to know. I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks everyone!