[BUG] Criticl MultiByteFileStream and StandardFileStream in 3.8g

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Wed Feb 2 16:22:59 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 1:46 am, Brent Pinkney wrote:
> I have submitted some problems with MultiByteFileStream in 3.8 not being
> able to open on an image (.png).
>
> However if one reverts FileStream class>>concreteStream to
> StandardFileStream then the FileList cannot be used to open files as
> StandardFileStream does not implement #converter: and friends.
>
> This is a critical bug.

Where are you noticing it?

I can, for instance, open PNGs from the FileList.

If you're reading from a stream of your own, you should call

(some stream) converter: Latin1TextConverter new

to kill off the text conversion.

Yes, this is a pain.

Have you looked for my various changes regarding this?

I have recommended that we have a distinct set of open methods that do this:

readOnlyBinaryFileNamed:
oldBinaryFileNamed:
newBinaryFileNamed:

etc.