Shrinking sucks!

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Feb 4 10:48:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:49:56 +0200, <goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:
> And Tweak is high risk because the project seems so.... well. Andreas
> surely will get annoyed with me for saying so - but it feels pretty
> closed. Yes, I know - we now have the code - but in what direction is it
> going? Perhaps I am just being... whatever. :)

Well, too bad if Andreas gets annoyed. I'll help you out there. And piss
off Craig in the process ;)

Both Tweak and Spoon have the closed feel - holding back releases,
dropping code with little guidance into the community, etcetera. If these
are to be the projects that will form two important corner stones of
Squeak, things need to change; the respective owners, IMO, should either
open the whole process up, or transfer ownership if they aren't interested
in the open source political arena, or simply announce that they cannot be
bothered so that the community can go hunt for alternatives. Personally, I
don't have a real preference for either option, I just have a thorough
dislike of option 'zero', namely what's been done now (dangling a carrot
but nothing much beyond that).

(and please note, respective project owners, that I'm not dismissing your
work or whatever; it's just that somehow, the community believes that here
are interesting pieces of work that need to form some kind of basis, and
the 'project management' just doesn't fit, at the moment, the *perceived*
importance of these projects).

> Cool. Then we are 2. :) More people joining up? This is all in the
> "let's do it, damnit" spirit - I got so tired of all the
> yaddayadda-threads the last month. Though I will respond to those too
> soon.

Will you setup a mailing list? ;P

I'll stop whining and start doing now. But I'm very much in the mood to
just do it - start distributing distributions based off a small image and
see where that takes us.