Basic Morph question - updating

Stephan B. Wessels swessels at cox.net
Sun Feb 6 00:34:42 UTC 2005

Günther,

The details tell the story.

Each Morph has control over this.  If the Morph sub-class implements
the #step method then it will get updated at regular intervals.
The update interval is controlled by the #stepTime method.  If that
same Morph wants to be updated at a non-default rate it would answer
the number of milliseconds between each step in the #stepTime method.

In some cases I've also seen Morphs that implement #wantsSteps to
answer false if they do not want to be updated.  In this manner they
can still implement their own #stepTime and #step methods and then
control whether they are active or not by use of the #wantsSteps
method.

You could, with this technique, create a morph that has an idle and
active state.  During the active state it would perform some kind of
animation or other action.  Write the #wantsSteps method to answer true
when the morph is active and false when it is idle.  Write the #step
method to make the incremental animation happen.  Write the #stepTime
method to control how much time should elapse (in milliseconds) between
each "step".  So when the #wantsStep says true, you move, and when it
says false you sit idle.

I used way too many words.  I hope that helps.

Cheers,

  - Steve

--
"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission."
	Eleanor Roosevelt