importing and compiling squeak code

Alan Lovejoy squeak-dev.sourcery at forum-mail.net
Mon Feb 7 08:00:12 UTC 2005

Stef>this is what happens when you load code in squeak. So are you really
Stef>sure that you want to redo that?

I'd say that it certainly will be valuable as a learning exercise, even if
there is no "business reason" for Brett to "roll his own" code import logic
(and he didn't give the full context, so perhaps he has a good reason for
reinventing this particular wheel.)

You have to understand that the ability to incrementally add, change and
remove classes and methods, while the program is running, is new, exotic and
magical to most non-Smalltalkers (unless they are LISP experts, or have
similar, rare experience.)  They almost always want to experiment with it.
And they often misuse it.  But that's no excuse for discouraging the
necessary learning activity.

It may be 19 years since I first used Smalltalk, but I still remember what
it was like to be a newbie.

--Alan