A strange Squeak bug

Frank Shearar Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk
Mon Feb 7 10:33:36 UTC 2005

Samir Saidani <saidani at info.unicaen.fr>

> Hi there,
>
> During a coding party, a student caused a quite strange bug easy to
> reproduce in the stable squeak 3.7 :
>
> In a workspace,
> LanguageEditor := Morph new. (for instance)
>
> Yes I know, this is a non sense, but all is possible with beginners !
> What surprised me is that it shouldn't work, but it works actually.
> So, then in a browser (tested with RB and System Browser), try to
> browse the class LanguageEditor -> Bug. And unfortunately, the bug
> message does not indicate to the beginner the nature of his
> error. Anyway I didn't manage to get rid of this bug.
>
> Ideas ?

If I try inspect

    LanguageEditor := Morph new.

I get a menu "Unknown variable: LanguageEditor please correct, or cancel", while if I inspect

    foo := Morph new.

I get an Inspector popping up all nice & neat.

Is this difference what you're reporting as a bug?

Ooh, hang on. I decided to try create the class, and I got a series of FITBMs. I got the "which category" morph, entered "Unknown". When I got to the class definition morph, I hit "cancel". I ended up with an Unknown category added, and a LanguageEditor class. Remember that I'd hit cancel - I'd expected to not see a class here!. And finally I got an inspector on the Morph. And trying to browse the class resulted in an MNU on #categories in Browser>>rawMessageCategoryList.

(This latter bit, adding a class even though you hit cancel, comes from Parser>>defineClass:. Surely it shouldn't? If the person hits cancel for either FITBM, the method should exit.)

frank

whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions expressed
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
RNID policy.
If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the RNID
Helpdesk by telephone on: +44 (0) 207 296 8282.
The Royal National Institute for Deaf People
Registered Office 19*23 Featherstone Street
London EC1Y 8SL No. 454169 (England)
Registered Charity No. 207720