The future of Morphic (Was Re: Shrinking sucks!)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 7 14:39:48 UTC 2005

Keep in mind that we have multiple projects using Squeak.  For some, MVC
is fine.  For myself, MVC is attrocious and Morphic is a massive
improvement.  (regarding speed, load a 3.0 image sometime and see how
fast morphic *can* go....)  And for others--perhaps the *majority* of
Squeak users -- EToys is where it is at.  A Squeak without EToys is a no
go for the general population.  At best, such a Squeak is a fork.

The Cees approach of start fresh sounds very promissing, except that I
am afraid no one will step up to actually port across all the important
functionality -- like Morphic and EToys -- that many users want.  If we
don't have people packagizing this stuff, then will we really have
people porting it across?  It is not clear that we will, which means we
would end up leaving behind important functionality.  We would have even
more Squeakers using old Squeak versions, than we do currently.
Essentially, that approach would be to do the fork Mark Guzdial
mentioned in the "What is Squeak?" thread.  It's not a terrible
solution, but why go down that path *just* to have small images?

Juan, your work on extracting Etoys is excellent, even if it did take
out a few extra pieces along with it.  I hope that it gets turned into a
loadable and unloadable package; it shouldn't be so hard, now that
you've identified the list of stuff!

One last thing to keep in mind.  Things that are used a lot, become easy
in Squeak.  Shrinking sucks right now because hardly anyone is
interested enough to really work on it.  People are voting in a very
honest way: how they spend their time.

-Lex