A strange Squeak bug

Samir Saidani saidani at info.unicaen.fr
Mon Feb 7 18:42:07 UTC 2005

Yar Hwee Boon <hboon at motionobj.com> writes:

> On 08-Feb-05, at AM 12:45, Samir Saidani wrote:
>
>> So I think that there is a finite numbers of typical misunderstanding
>> from beginners, and allowing beginners understanding their own
>> misunderstanding is a kind of bootstrap, I mean a bootstrap towards a
>> feeling or insight of the language where the beginner is no longer a
>> beginner ; and thus can figure out more deeply its own error without a
>> beginner help. I feel that the debugger tool is the right tool to
>> implement these views, but how ? Ideas ?
>
> I'm not sure what kind of learning environment you are looking at
> (eg. a lone student exploring without guidance, etc), but I think for
> this specific case, just a simple FAQ document will do, no?

Mmm, sorry, I'm not clear. In fact, I'm interested in the general case
: a beginner makes a mistake and the debugger tells it *clearly* what
is the nature of the error (for instance, the debugger ask a question
to the beginner "are you sure that you want really to do a binding
... ?). a FAQ assumes that you have a question, but the beginner
(alone, without guidance) has no question at the point of its error,
or more exactly, the poor question : "why there is an error ?" due to
the lack of friendship (be understandable at the level of the
beginner) of the debugger. The debugger assumes that you are a power
smalltalker. The idea is that Squeak offer the beginner some questions
to explore (and then -> FAQ).

--
Samir SAIDANI
PhD Student in CS / Doctorant en informatique 	web : http://www.info.unicaen.fr/~saidani