Squeak is an unsuccessful open source project (was RE: Let usface reality)

Brent Pinkney brent.pinkney at aircom.co.za
Tue Feb 8 05:53:52 UTC 2005

Hi Kamil,

> Yes, and I see there are unresolved problems with handling errors in
> socket communication but I feel it's maybe something simply unsolvable
> within current design. Any other development environment is better in
> this and other issues. No wonder, that even though I can amaze people
> with rotating windows, I simply can't rely on it as development
> platform. It is really a shame.

This is precicely the problems we are talking about.

however, let me assure you that this problem occurs in every environment -
my sad forray into Java discovered no less than 5 separate implementation
of a Date class!

Other languages simply refuse to address this problem by usgin
namesspaces. This allows the duplication to the tolerated but does NOT fix
it. Squeak's single namespace expses this duplication earlier which should
allow us to fix it to build the One True RFC Compliant HttpClient class.

This downside of namespaces has been repeatedly emphasised by Andreas Raab.

In this case I would petition the maintainers of the various HtppClient
species and the Comanche/Seaside crowd to converge on the One True version.

Brent