The future of Morphic (Was Re: Shrinking sucks!)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 8 14:54:17 UTC 2005

I like the build-up demand-load approach, but I think it's too soon for
it to work effectively.  We'll end up with an image that squeak-dev is
happy with, but what about the rest of Squeak users?  Surely we do not
expect all Squeakers, or even most of them, to follow squeak-dev?

I bet a large number of would-be contributors are currently overwhelmed
by the process discussions.  As food for thought: how many Squeak users
do you think even know that we have a bug tracker?  As a bonus, how many
do you think could find it in 10 seconds or less?  Let's focus on
getting the processes in order.  Pragmatically, those processes seem to
involve packages, so that contributorss can focus their efforts on a
particular part of the image.

Packagizing is a slower and safer approach, and it still removes cruft.
Stuff that sits on SqueakMap for 3 years with major open bugs, is
probably cruft.

-Lex