The future of Morphic (Was Re: Shrinking sucks!)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Feb 8 19:55:18 UTC 2005

Hi John!

Thanks for taking some time with us non-Tweakers btw.

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> onMouseDown
> | oldColor |
> <on: mouseDown>
> oldColor _ color.
> color _ Color yellow.
> self waitUntil: #mouseUp.
> color _ oldColor.
>

> The non-smalltalk part is the <on: mouseDown> which populates a

Is this event thingy the only thing added to the "language"? Btw, I
think C# also has support at the language level for events.

[SNIP]
> Keep in mind as a replacement for Morphic Tweak is building on lessons
> learned, it's much more mature product and finding things are in most
> cases easy and found where you would expect to find them, versus say
> the mysteries of Morphic.

Yes, and I think Tweak would be an excellent replacement for Morphic -
but the thing that makes me "careful" regarding Tweak is that the
current Tweak core team (read "Andreas") has not expressed any
particular interest (or at least haven't decided) in making Tweak become
a replacement for Morphic in "official Squeak". Sure, a replacement for
Morphic - but AFAIK focused almost exclusively on Croquet.

An example of this is the recent Islands work - if that becomes (or
already is?) a basis for Tweak (as in Tweak uses it) then that stuff is
also "forced" upon "official Squeak". Well, this is all complicated - I
didn't intend to discuss it at this point - it will surely be made clear
as Tweak progresses.

I am just raising a "cautious finger" for us interested in the future of
"official Squeak" (lack of better name) that Tweak is moving "on its
own" at this time.

regards, Göran