The future of Morphic (Was Re: Shrinking sucks!)

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Tue Feb 8 23:08:48 UTC 2005

Am 08.02.2005 um 23:17 schrieb Cees de Groot:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:22:17 +0100, Marcus Denker <denker at iam.unibe.ch>
> wrote:
>
>> actually, my experience of using Tweak as "just a better morphic" for
>> implementing tools (debugger, browser) has been a very
>> pleasent one. And that with zero documentation... quite easy to build
>> GUI's with, even for standard boring bussiness user type
>> of stuff I think it's quite nice.
>>
> Yes, but the question is whether the makers want to keep it that way,
> or constantly burn diskpacks in order to make the end-user experience
> (afaict, the main goal) better. Like, being pleasant to build apps
> with might just be an unintended side-effect that is scrapped in the
> next version because better ideas arise.
>
> I'd welcome such a "ruthless" development cycle for end-user Squeak,
> but it might mean that for boring old-style development we'de better
> stick with something more controllable :)

Well ... if you trust this community to fix Morphic, which is a total
mess compared to Tweak, why wouldn't you trust it to be able to fix /
change / do whatever is necessary for your own needs if such an
incident would happen? This is the confidence open source gives you.
You may not be able to convince Andreas to do or not to do anything
specific to Tweak, but you're free to fix it on your own (or get
someone else to do it for you) if it must be.

- Bert -