The future of Morphic (Was Re: Shrinking sucks!)

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Tue Feb 8 23:23:18 UTC 2005

Am 08.02.2005 um 22:24 schrieb Juan Vuletich:

> Maybe Tweak will be the answer to all my needs. But the Tweak shorter
> term  goals don't seem to be the same as mine. I need something simpler
> than Morphic, where every Morph defines the coordinate system for its
> drawing and submorph locating. I currently don't need any layout
> policies,
> and I probably won't even need Morph resizing. But I do want zooming
> and rotating as operations done with the coordinate systems. This would
> give me screen resolution independence, and better quality zooming.
> This is a NewMorph class that can live in the same world as current
> Morphs.
> It's much easier for me to explore this kind of things in a Morphic
> without
> eToys environment than in regular Morphic or Tweak.

Sounds precisely like the Tweak graphics model ;-)

As I said before, and others (John, Marcus) confirmed - besides its
other ambitious goals, Tweak is also simply a very pleasant to use GUI
toolkit. And we try hard to keep it clean, without subsystems such as
the tile scripting (etoys) proliferating into base classes, recreating
the tangled mess we have in Morphic now. We've started to create
sub-packages using Monticello, which are destined to become as cleanly
separated as reasonable so you can use the specific parts you like.

> There is something else about Tweak. Tweak (as far as I know) was never
> presented as the next GUI for Squeak or the next Squeak. It was
> presented
> as a sort of fork, declaring interest in not getting too far from the
> Squeak
> community but without this as a priority.

If someone would step up and declare Tweak to be the "next GUI for
Squeak", as you put it, then he would assume a lot of responsibility,
right? So this could only come from the community itself. The best way
for the near future might be to work on supporting multiple GUIs, as
Andreas outlined in his mail, so it's easy to play with one or the
other.

>  And the lack of documentation made difficult to envision where Tweak
> was headed. I believe it's still hard to guess that.

Documentation, yes, the weak spot, as always. The thing coming closest
currently is the Tweak mailing list, although we are indeed working on
documentation.

> I believe a smaller and cleaner Morphic system will be both useful and
> nice.
> I offer what I did to to the community. If it's not valuable for
> anybody,
> that's ok too.

Sure, I suspect many would find this useful.

> I hope to have been clear enough, and I hope I don't hurt anybody's
> feelings.

Not at all :)

- Bert -