The future of Morphic (Was Re: Shrinking sucks!)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Feb 9 08:27:32 UTC 2005

> As I said before, and others (John, Marcus) confirmed - besides its
> other ambitious goals, Tweak is also simply a very pleasant to use GUI
> toolkit. And we try hard to keep it clean, without subsystems such as
> the tile scripting (etoys) proliferating into base classes, recreating
> the tangled mess we have in Morphic now. We've started to create
> sub-packages using Monticello, which are destined to become as cleanly
> separated as reasonable so you can use the specific parts you like.

Excellent

>> There is something else about Tweak. Tweak (as far as I know) was
>> never
>> presented as the next GUI for Squeak or the next Squeak. It was
>> presented
>> as a sort of fork, declaring interest in not getting too far from the
>> Squeak
>> community but without this as a priority.
>
> If someone would step up and declare Tweak to be the "next GUI for
> Squeak", as you put it, then he would assume a lot of responsibility,
> right? So this could only come from the community itself.

I do not believe that this is only like that.
First, the openness and goal should be clear, then this is like love
this is not one partner deciding but both agreeing and the base for
that is communication. This is why I cross-posted these emails because
the communication was quite lacking. People in squeak were frustrated
by the absence of communication on Tweak.

> The best way for the near future might be to work on supporting
> multiple GUIs, as Andreas outlined in his mail, so it's easy to play
> with one or the other.

yes that too.

>>  And the lack of documentation made difficult to envision where Tweak
>> was headed. I believe it's still hard to guess that.
>
> Documentation, yes, the weak spot, as always. The thing coming closest
> currently is the Tweak mailing list, although we are indeed working on
> documentation.

I think that documentation in the text above should be converted into
communication.

>> I believe a smaller and cleaner Morphic system will be both useful
>> and nice.
>> I offer what I did to to the community. If it's not valuable for
>> anybody,
>> that's ok too.
>
> Sure, I suspect many would find this useful.

oh yes.