UI abstractions "task force" (Was: Re: [Tweak] Tweak position?)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Feb 9 09:42:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:38:05 -0800, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
wrote:
> That's why I said to get these people into the same room and see what
> they need - if there's a need, there will be action. I know that
> (personally speaking) I would go with *any* approach which gives me the
> tools back and I'm almost sure the wxSqueak guys would love it if a new
> tool could just come up with a native UI.

Hear, hear. Well, about the getting into the same room - I'm still not
sure whether I'm happy about wxSqueak popping up its own browsers and
debuggers, but that should be a preference anyway.

Short of flying to one central place on earth and hacking it all up in a
week, what sort of room shall we choose? A mailing list? Special subject
tag on squeak-dev?

I'm more than happy to let Rob Gayvert work on wxSqueak itself so I
volunteer to represent that "camp" if he agrees, Avi would surely know
someone who can help out for the Seaside bit, I take it that you and Bert
are willing to make Tweak 'comply', let's maybe decide to junk MVC once
and for all if no-one steps up (IMNSHO, it should be possible to have a
Minimal UI that runs on PDA's etcetera base on something other than '80s
legacy stuff but I'm sure people like Aaron have their own opinion -
Aaron, are you there?), and Juan volunteered to help out with Morphic, so
he and I think Ned should be in the room as well. Did I miss anyone?

> Heh. Exactly. Read my message as a search for collaborators. Together we
> may even have a chance to master the process of getting approved into
> the image.

Let me state this clearly: if the list of people gets to gether and cleans
up this mess, and this does NOT land in the image, something is horribly,
terribly wrong with the how-to-get-stuff-into-the-image process and it'll
be time for a coup ;)

(well, partly tongue-in-cheek there ;))

> I just need TSTTCPW.

Array specs, probably. We can steal some code from VW in return from them
stealing code from us (just kidding, you do NOT want VW UI code ;))

TSTTCPW is also: limit the scope of the project to A) UIManager (easy but
a nice chance to have a quick result in the update stream, good for
motivation), B) UIBuilder *just* for tool support (Browser/OB, Transcript,
Workspace, Method Finder, File List, Monticello, SqueakMap, ...). Which
means that any widgets not used by the tools chosen to be worked on, will
not be representable by this first cut of UIBuilder.

Shall we tackle this thing?

(and then I'll stop - TFNR and this is enough on my plate. If I volunteer
for anything else, please start laughing and give me the proverbial kick
in the butt)