[Tweak] Tweak position?

Michael Rueger michael at impara.de
Wed Feb 9 07:17:06 UTC 2005

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> Hi fellas!
>
> "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

>>Yes, I proposed that earlier on IRC. The Squeak World Tour had some baseline
>>code to deal with that - XML ui spec and then an appropriate builder for the
>>different backends. I wonder if that code is still around (and if so, what

Andreas and I had a discussion about it a while ago as I was (and am)
planning (and actually got a tiny tiny prototype test with a button
running in Tweak) to use XUL (or something borrwoing from it) and CSS
for spec'ing the UI for the TK4 project.
XUL is used to define the widgets and callbacks, CSS is used to annotate
style (colors, images, borders, labels). By defining the label strings
in an included file and then simply swapping it you also as a sideffect
have an easy way to generate translated UIs. Together with different
label definitions you can also override other UI definitions like layout
size to accomodate for changes in label length, culture specific colors
  etc.

>>using XML - anything that doesn't refer to class names directly could be
>>used; say something that just reads as:
>>
>>    builder := UIBuilder default.
>>    list := builder newPluggableList on: self getListSelector: ...

Yes, the import engine for XUL could/would use such an API, so you can
have both your cake and eat it :-)

> The tricky part with all this might be to find someone with the "itch".

I'm already scratching :-)

Michael