UI abstractions "task force" (Was: Re: [Tweak] Tweak position?)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Feb 9 21:25:02 UTC 2005

>> Along those lines - I'm not sure how wxSqueak handles this, but
>> Seaside definitely needs  "UIManager default" to be some form of
>> dynamic variable (process-local, or walk the stack), rather than a
>> global.  I'm surprised Tweak doesn't need that too; don't you have
>> cases where Morphic is running in one scope and Tweak in another, and
>> you'd want to pop up the right dialog depending on where you were when
>> you sent #inform:?
>
> UIManager class>>default is currently overridden by Tweak:
[...]
> When more UI frameworks want to use this, the #default method could ask
> its subclasses or registered UIManagers if it wants to handle the request.

Well, yes, but this isn't as important here. I think it's critical to
distinguish between the *ability* to choose different ui manager (the part
on which we should concentrate) and the *policy* when to select which one.

The latter can be quite complex and my inclination so far has been to simply
say that either the request for "UIManager default" can figure this out, or
the individual requests can be mapped appropriately (e.g., Object>>inform:
being written to a log, Object>>confirm: raised in whatever context is
appropriate).

Cheers,
  - Andreas