UI abstractions "task force" (Was: Re: [Tweak] Tweak position?)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Feb 10 01:11:19 UTC 2005

Hi Cees,

> Short of flying to one central place on earth and hacking it all up in a
> week, what sort of room shall we choose? A mailing list? Special subject
> tag on squeak-dev?

No Squeak-dev please. This single thread is already exhausting me. And we
haven't even started *doing* anything yet.

>> I just need TSTTCPW.
>>
> Array specs, probably. We can steal some code from VW in return from them
> stealing code from us (just kidding, you do NOT want VW UI code ;))

Fine with me.

> TSTTCPW is also: limit the scope of the project to A) UIManager (easy but
> a nice chance to have a quick result in the update stream, good for
> motivation),

Agree.

> B) UIBuilder *just* for tool support (Browser/OB, Transcript,  Workspace,
> Method Finder, File List, Monticello, SqueakMap, ...). Which  means that
> any widgets not used by the tools chosen to be worked on, will  not be
> representable by this first cut of UIBuilder.

Agree. Shall we do it driven by the five "most important tools"? Browser,
Debugger, Monticello, ChangeSorter, SqueakMap (in that order)?

> (and then I'll stop - TFNR and this is enough on my plate. If I volunteer
> for anything else, please start laughing and give me the proverbial kick
> in the butt)

Heh. We need a place to discuss a few issues in private. Including, for
example, how to represent button groups (like the browser buttons), layouts
(at least we need a common concept), which "runtime-messages" we must
support and then some.

Also, we'd at least need to come up with a concept of for how to choose the
ui policy appropriately (for example, does a tool need to remember the UI
builder so that it can request an appropriate dialog box?).

Cheers,
  - Andreas