Partitioning the image (was Re: Shrinking sucks!)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Feb 10 13:10:30 UTC 2005

> All? That sounds harsh. :) Has anyone actually tried it? I have
> presented my Namespaces for a group of Squeak/Smalltalkers here at
> SweSUG and they all liked it a LOT. So... I wonder.

Ok let us spend some time because we have so much time to get
frustrated.
You can read in the archive the messages I sent when you proposed your
namespace.

We do not like the idea that in a method body you can escape your
current namespace
and access a class in another namespace. We do not want to have
internamespace spaghetti code.
We prefer a model where import is done at namespace level (because this
is the job of the namespace) and method body only see names imported as
if they would be in the same namespace.

I hope this helps but I already said that this is in the archives and
we always said it, again and again.

Stef