[Tweak] Tweak position?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 10 15:55:45 UTC 2005

> > Oh, I don't know. I think there is a significant number of projects which
> > wouldn't pass your own definition of "openness"...
>
> Not sure what you mean, but that is what I said. :) I know that I keep
> bitching about openness and all that. Can't help it. Perhaps this is
> related to the fact that I am in this community all by "myself" and you
> guys are working on company paid projects. Different perspectives I
> suppose.

Just as a me too:

I have a different perspective too, and since I'm not paid for my
research, I guess it must be for a different reason!

I think Tweak has been plenty open, and that people on squeak-dev have
been unbelievably grabby lately.  We know all that we need to know to
move forward: Tweak is really cool, and Tweak is unreleased.  This is a
typical state of affairs for a Squeak project, and it is not something
special about Tweak.  It will be released and opened whenever that seems
right.

I find myself having trouble explaining why I think it is okay to be
tight mouthed about a new idea.  It is just how design works.  So, yes,
it seems to be a different world view!

To make one effort: When you are in the midst of a design process --
even one that takes years -- you need to spare all of your mental energy
for the problem at hand.  If you want some input from other people, that
is one thing, but what if you are seeking a design that you can just
barely see but is a little bit out of reach?  Then keep reaching, I say!
 Talk about it and share code once you have a handle on it or have given
up for now on getting your hands on it.

But yes, too much philosophy.  I am just tossing this out so that people
don't get the idea Andreas is an incredible weirdo.  There are at least
two who think you don't have to put your babies naked on the street for
random passersby to play with.  Let them grow a little bit, first.  :)

-Lex

PS -- "Islands" is a way to isolate projects that you can read about on
the swiki.  I am not working on that project any more personally, and I
don't know if anyone else has started a project by the same name.  For
the record, I'm not pursuing the Islands approach any longer.  If I do
work on secure squeak sandboxes again (it's important!!), I will drop
the compatibility requirement, at least initially.  It is already a hard
project, and trying to run legacy Morph's added a huge extra can of
worms to deal with that sucked away tremendous time.

In fact, Islands is already perfectly usable, if you aren't worried
about Morphic compatibility....