Partitioning the image (was Re: Shrinking sucks!)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 10 15:26:07 UTC 2005

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> > But... that is the job of SM! You simply register a corresponding SM
> > package, fill in the PI field - and bam - you now have description,
> > owner, comaintainers, releases yaddayadda. I thought this was obvious.
>
> NO!
> Why this information should be on a server.
> Class comments and methods comments are not on a server.

Having a server is okay, but:

	1. Each image should have the comments that pertain to that specific
image.  If you are working in Squeak 3.5, you should not see packages
and package comments that only make sense in Squeak 3.9.

	2. There should be the possibility of local changes.  I should be able
to hack the Compiler package in my own image, without it messing up
other people's images.

	3. It needs to work even when you are not connected to the server.

It seems simpler, getting started, to store the data directly in the
image and then work out a way to put these things into package files
that we send around.  Just like with class comments and method comments.
 The server can then provide an optional mechanism to share stuff
between multiple users.

-Lex