A mailinglist in Squeak

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Feb 10 21:54:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:18:02 +0100, Anselm Strauss
<astrauss at students.unibe.ch> wrote:
> I'm planning to implement a mailinglist system in Squeak. I'm doing this
> as a project within the scope of my study in computer science at the
> University of Bern.

Hey, nice!

I do not know of similar things, but I do know how I'd tackle it. Start
with qmail+ezmlm. I'm not saying this because this is necessarily the best
mailing list system there is, but it is very modular - you will be able to
subsume functions in Squeak piecewise, while keeping a full system
running; this should provide for simpler testing. Also, ezmlm has some
good ideas about how to manage mailing lists and, as most of Bernstein's
products, is quite solidly engineered. Look on his homepage for more info
- http://cr.yp.to/ (you may guess exactly 1 time what his research is
about).

(and of course I'm also saying this because it might be en interesting
piece of software for the SqF box which is running ezmlm ;))

It shouldn't be too hard - Squeak has mail reception, parsing,
construction and sending on board; if you don't want to be fancy you can
use the Maildir system for reliable storage; and ezmlm should provide
quite a number of pointers about how to tackle things.