Porting to Playstation2.

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 11 00:01:29 UTC 2005

> A quick search on the google list shows that Squeak was ported to
> PS2/linux, however I'd like to do a native build.  I run the web site
> www.ps2dev.org where a group of people have created an open source dev
> kit for the ps2.  We have a gcc cross compiler, and enough libraries to
> get to most parts of the ps2.
That will help.

>  We have drivers for USB mouse and
> keyboard so it should be possible to have the whole environment put on a
> memory card or CD on a stock standard PS2.  There's 32MB memory in the
> PS2, so not sure if that will be a problem.
32Mb is going to be a bit tight for typical images. I'm sure you've
seen the email traffic on smaller images etc so I won't repeat the
verbiage. You may need to restrict yourself to smaller screen sizes for
a while for example.

> So where do I start?  Links, examples, etc would be helpful.
Read the VMMaker related pages on the swiki :-
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/VMMaker
and ignore any crap you see about CVS and SourceForge since we now host
the platforms code tree on subversion at http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/svn/squeak/trunk

You should find that browsing through the paltforms files for any
machine you're already familiar with will give you plenty of clues
about what you need to do.

I was going to point you to the swiki for the nu-blue book chapter on
porting (out of date but still useful) but I see the swiki has been
pretty much destroyed.

After you've read the swiki and browsed the platforms code, get back to
us with questions. By and large we're fairly friendly to porters ;-)

tim
Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail.