widget sets (was: Alan Kay on forks)

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri Feb 11 00:27:59 UTC 2005

Lex Spoon wrote:

>I agree, Brad, that a better widget set and general UI tools would be
>nice, and I've argued in the past that we should put one into the
>standard basic image for people like you.
>
>We actually have several widget sets on SqueakMap (have you tried
>BobsUI or Prefab?),

yep

>and so I suggested that we should put the first one
>into the main image that someone would volunteer to actually maintain.
>To prove they actually have some time available to maintain it, I think
>they should have some requirement, e.g. to make a Play With Me  project
>which introduces you to the toolkit.  I think we should tell them their
>toolkit will get put into basic (GUI's are part of basic development!), so
>that they will have incentive to do the work.
>
>No one has really volunteered, but I still think it's a good idea.  For
>application developers using Squeak, it would be very valuable to not
>only have a great framework like Morphic, but to have a good set of
>widgets implemented in the framework.

Yes! I don't necessarily need a fancy GUI builder, just a comprehensive
widget set in Morphic, or any framework for that matter. And documented
in a way that is usuable for us graphic-challenged. It doesn't have to
be documented by a technical writer that spends all her time documenting
every nook and cranny. But, it would be nice to have the classes and
methods documented well. Heck, samples would be even better.

>-Lex
>
>PS -- be sure to check out the nu blue book's chapter on Morphic, if you
>can get ahold of a copy.  not to mention, perusing the "morphic" page on
>the swiki.

I believe I have all the books on ST and Squeak.
I wished the swiki was more up to date and in tune with the current
classes. It's handy to go there and search. But, many classes have
changed or are obsolete and are out of sync with the swiki. So when I
search for a solution and then look at the class/method it's sometimes,
not always, different than the swiki example.

thanks for reading and replying, Lex!

--
Hear us online: www.Sonaural.com