widget sets (was: Alan Kay on forks)

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Fri Feb 11 09:50:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:30:15 -0500, Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> I agree, Brad, that a better widget set and general UI tools would be
> nice, and I've argued in the past that we should put one into the
> standard basic image for people like you.

That'd be a good thing for lots of people.

> We actually have several widget sets on SqueakMap (have you tried
> BobsUI or Prefab?), and so I suggested that we should put the first one
> into the main image that someone would volunteer to actually maintain.

Both are classified (in SqueakMap) as bleeding edge/barely runnable, and
that was in version 3.4. I tried installing on 3.7 anyway and got
"Undefined Object as yet unclassified  Nothing".

For giggles, I looked for a version 3.4 for a while before realizing I
still had Marcus's excellent Smalltalk DVD images on one of my
hard-drives. Tried loading up BobsUI--same error.

So, I guess what I'm wondering is whether it would be worth it to invest a
bunch of time in some old, unready code sets (like BobsUI or Prefab)
versus investing it in new, unready code sets (like Tweak).<s>